Friday, February 22, 2013

Wine, Whine, Whine...



So I am in the process of reading the Bible in a year.  Reading through Luke I noticed something that I have somehow missed every other time I’ve read it. 

Luke 5:36-39 - And He was also telling them a parable: “No one tears a piece of cloth from a new garment and puts it on an old garment; otherwise he will both tear the new, and the piece from the new will not match the old. 37 And no one puts new wine into old wineskins; otherwise the new wine will burst the skins and it will be spilled out, and the skins will be ruined. 38 But new wine must be put into fresh wineskins. 39 And no one, after drinking old wine wishes for new; for he says, ‘The old is good enough.’”

Verse 39 is the one that seemed to suddenly appear.  I’ve memorized 36-38 before, even preached on Matthew’s version of this passage, but somehow missed verse 39.

If you are used to the old wine you won’t want the new wine. 

There are leadership implications here, to be sure. Trying to bring change is going to be hard, if Jesus himself says that everyone who has tasted the old wine is going to be satisfied… Every book on change worth it's cover will tell you that "good enough is the biggest threat to excellent that exists". Well-meaning people become like the Pharisees, obstacles to change, because they like what they first tasted…

But what about the personal implications for someone who wants to constantly be moving and re-thinking?  How do I prevent becoming addicted to a certain kind of wine, and whining about the rest?

I remember being a teenager in the 90's, and thinking that my parents were weird for not liking the new music that was coming out.  Now I’m 31 and my favorite type of music is 90’s rock (now called “adult contemporary”).  I’m pretty much annoyed with most of what comes out today, unless it is heavily influenced by 90’s rock.  I’ve settled into a certain wine skin.  When it comes to music, I say, “The old is better!”

But just because I understand the “old is better” attitude doesn’t mean I can defend it.  That attitude is the one that had Jewish believers upset when Gentiles started coming to Christ.  That attitude is the one that pushed Paul to say (about those who were demanding that Gentiles become circumcised if they wanted to pursue relationship with Jesus) “As for those agitators, I wish they would go the whole way and emasculate themselves!”  It is the attitude that caused the first big church counsel in Jerusalem (one that ended in compromise rather than in leadership, and whose decisions were eventually reversed), and the one that caused Paul to oppose Peter to his face in front of the Galatian church.

On the contrary, I have an obligation to do what Paul did, and become “all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some”.  I follow the example of someone who “did not consider equality with God something to be grasped”, but emptied himself, and became like me.  He gave up all the comforts of heaven to suffer through being like me, not because there was anything in it for Him, but because He loved me. 

If singing along with some music I don’t like will help someone else know God’s love, count me in.  If seeing things at church done differently than the way I’ve always done them will help more people come to know Christ in 1 year than in the 5 previous years combined, count me in.  If I have to volunteer in some ways that feel a little awkward, instead of the old comfortable ways, so that I can carry out the great commission, count me in.  

And keep me accountable to my attitude, because I have a tendency to do the right thing through gritted teeth because I know I have to, instead of with genuine love and compassion, and if I do that, then I’m not going to bless anyone.  And I am tempted to only serve with honest love if I get to do it my way, but if I do that I'm just forcing new wine into old wineskins. 

So if I can't serve new wine with a smile, put a cork in me and put me on a shelf in the basement.  The mission of the church is not to keep me content and tithing, but to go and make disciples.  If I get in the way of the mission, then call me Jonah and toss me overboard.  There are plenty of life boats out there that are happy to pick up the picky and serve them their favorite kind of wine.  Maybe I'll even get swallowed by a big fish, get my act together and go do the right thing...

I try to avoid becoming a wine whiner, by remembering that the wine skins that helped last year's crop become a great vintage, might not work well for this year’s harvest; thus the need to constantly move and re-think.   

I am not a change agent, because I want things to be the way I like them.   

I don’t want you to move and rethink your ideas, so that they will be more like mine. 

I want to move and rethink so that I can follow Paul’s example as he followed the example of Christ, so that I will always have new wine-skins ready for new wine, even while I privately prefer and older vintage.

After all, what is old wine to me was once new wine, and someone cared enough to move and re-think their favorite vintage and to create one I could fall in love with.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with the "changing the way things are done" approach. Unfortunately, though, this thought process has been used as the impetuous for watering down theological instruction in sermons and eventually avoiding tough theological issues all together. Paul nails it with his assessment becoming all things to all men. But I don't think this precludes the existence of a "proper" way to do things. A congregation needs spiritual meat and not a constant flow of spiritual milk. Finding a balance is a tough challenge for church leaders. It seems to me that we see more failing than succeeding in this aspect - the poor health of the American Church being evidence of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grant, I agree, there has been far to much watered down milk served up in our attempts to meet the culture with the gospel. I think the key is to hold your mission tightly (in this case good theological instruction, aka making disciples, not just converts) and to hold your methods loosely (ie what programs you use). It isn't about changing what we do, or why we do it, it is about rethinking how we do it. I think of Paul in Athens, observing the idols and finding the one to the unknown God. The typical religious response of his day would have been to open with the law, show people how they didn't measure up to it, maybe toss in a little fire and brim stone, and thus show them their need for a savior (not much has changed) but Paul took a different approach. He used respect for the desire not to leave any gods out as a window to show them the light of the truth. The mission, was still the same, make disciples, but the method was completely different. Paul never watered anything down, but he was always rethinking the approach. He didn't have a "once size fit's all" program for ministry. He met the people, met cultures, and came up with unique strategies in each new city, always ready with new wineskins.

      Delete
  2. Charlie- I love your blogs!I commented on the last one about the "why" it was rather long and when I posted or tried rather, I ended up losing it and figured I would just talk to you when I saw you again, LOL. Great stuff! Change is indeed so hard for many of us and therefore we just stay with the old instead of putting on the new. I love that writing about "become all things to all people so by all possible means I might save some". Thats the attitude I have to carry at work everyday while I work with such addicted, mentally-ill, broken people. But the truth is, is that it comes very natural for me to do this today. But even more natural and without much effort since I have strenghtened my relationship with God. And its something that I carry over in my everyday life outside of work. Moving and re-thinking is the key! One of the very first things Pastor Roger taught us was "choose to please the Lord (first) in all you do". That was something that was a huge change and required alot of moving and re-thinking for us. We are not pro's with this yet, LOL, but this and so many other things requires us all to move and re-think. Reading blogs like this, really motivates me to continue to move and re-think each day. To be better for God, my kids, my husband, friends and my employer! Great job. Great motivating material. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

All comments will be moderated before being posted.