Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Words from Grandpa's Bible

I spent last night in my grandfather's small apartment.  We knew his time with us was short and didn't want him to be alone.  My parents had been there around the clock for days and were exhausted.  It was my privilege to stay with him.

After they filled me in on what to do to keep him comfortable, they left, and I settled into an old chair, with his Bible.  It had been my grandmothers, before she went home 20 years ago, but since then, it had been his.


This note makes me think that the Bible had been every bit as much his as it had been Nana's even before she went home,  "Help me Lord, to become the man I should be for Christ's sake" - dated 10/11/1975

And this one confirms he was using it long after she went home, "How much longer do I have to serve God?" dated 9/25/2005




The pages worn with use, many falling out, some with verses underlined, some with notes scrawled in the margins.  I could think of no better way to pass the time than to simply sit and read the things that had been worth remembering to him.

Before I could get to those worn pages I found myself transfixed with the inside cover.  Here were listed the following references and phrases.  (I have typed out the verses for you in italics, the cover contained only the references)

Psalm 56:11 “In God I trust; I shall not be afraid.  What can man do to me.”

Proverbs 29 - (turning to that scripture I found the first verse underlined.) “He who is often reproved, yet stiffens his neck, will suddenly be broken beyond healing

I am the best Christian someone will ever see.

Write your name on my lips, Lord...

Scripture for leading one to Christ... Romans 10:9,10&13 “If you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.  For with the heart one believes and is justified and with the mouth one confesses and is saved… For everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

The words “Salvation verses” and the following list:
John 1:12, “But to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, He gave the right to become children of God.”
Acts 16:31, “And they said, Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household”
Romans 5:1, “Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ”
Romans 6:23, “For the wages of sin is death but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord”
Ephesians 2:8-9 “For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God. Not a result of works, so that no one may boast”
Romans 5:8,9 “But God demonstrates his love for us in this, that while were still sinners Christ died for us.  Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God.”
Beside this final scripture was written - by Christ’s death, he paid the penalty for the sins of the world.

See Exodus 12 - Passover

Psalm 119:92 “If your law had not been my delight I would have perished in my afflictions”

Col 3:11 “Here there is no Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave, free; but Christ is all and in all.”

Deuteronomy 13:6-7 “If your brother, the son of your mother, or your son or your daughter or the wife you embrace or your friend who is as your own soul entices you secretly, saying, ‘Let us go and serve other gods’… you shall not yield to him or listen to him…”  Beside this reference was written the words “Stand for our lord against family and friend”

Romans 8:28 “And we know that in all things, God works for the good of those that love him, who are called according to his purpose.”

Hebrews 4:15 “For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin.”

Just before we got to Genesis, I found the following quote...


“You will never know how to live until you are ready to die.” 
This same quote was also found on the back cover...  It was the only repeat entry...

I took a break from reading around 10:30 and checked on Grandpa. His breathing was so shallow I had to put my hand on him to make sure he was still with me. I went back to reading and fell asleep with the Bible in my lap.  When I woke up around 1:30 in the morning, I checked on him again.  He had passed painlessly and silently from this life to the next...

In the Psalms one verse that was underlined was Psalm 116:15 "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints".  

3 comments:

  1. My prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing Charlie. I am honored, blessed, choked up. What a Godly man, and what a precious treasure you now have. Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear about your families loss. I look forward to spending time with your grandfather in Paradise.

    ReplyDelete

All comments will be moderated before being posted.