Friday, October 26, 2012

The value of Re-Thinking

The Orange Leader's blog recently posted this "Ted Talk"  all about how we tie our shoes.   It will take you 3 minutes to watch the video.

I watched it and remembered that Orange is not just a children's "program" or a curriculum.  It is part of something bigger called "the re-think group". 

There are huge benefits to be had when we challenge our basic assumptions, when we re-think the way we've always done something, when we take the time to make a minor adjustment.  We are creatures of habit, and we seldom stop to think what might happen if we did something just a little differently.

I want to be the kind of person who is always open to learning and growing.  I think we all say that, but how many of us will actually take the time to re-think how we tie our shoes?  Ultimately we tend to take a "if it is not broken, don't fix it" approach to life.  There is no sense of urgency about learning a knew method for tying shoes. 

But what do we do when we know something is broken? When we know it needs to be fixed, how do we approach the situation?  I tend to try harder, but continue using the old methods.  I go back to basics, or to what I know worked before, rather than innovating.  In other words, I get stuck in a rut, and eventually that rut gets so deep that I don't even know how to get out.

Maybe I just find this video interesting because of all of the other "orange thinking" that I have been exposed to.  My hope is that after watching, you'll have a better understanding of why I call my blog Moving and Re-thinking.  Maybe you'll be challenged to take a fresh approach to some challenge in your life. "You are doing it wrong" doesn't always have to be a criticism, sometimes, it is just a fact.  There is a better way to do something, a way you've never considered.

1 comment:

  1. This post reminded me of the disciples out in a boat fishing after Jesus was crucified and dead (and resurrected but they didn't know it). When this Dude (Jesus) asked from shore how it was going, they replied that they were catching squat (Yes, this is a pretty loose translation.) The Dude told them to cast their net on the other side of the boat. Now, experts believe the boat they were most likely in was about 8 feet wide at it's widest point (or in Bible measurements - 3.82 cubits plus 2 ephahs). They cast the net out the other side. Again - they cast it about 8 feet from where they previously had it cast. And we know the rest of the story.

    One of the things I take away from this (actually there are several important points) is that sometimes we need to do things just a little differently to get results. In other words, re-think and re-do in a different way.

    Good post, Charlie. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete

All comments will be moderated before being posted.