Friday, December 28, 2012

Unity

INTROSPECTION WARNING:  The following post is written to help the author organize his thoughts on the topic being discussed and to solicit feedback.  It is not intended to provide answers or solutions, nor is it intended as a complaint.

I teach a Parents Sunday School/Small Group at church. The curriculum we are using is designed to go a long with what the children are learning in their Small groups.  The idea is that we apply the Orange concept of "making it personal" so that we will be informed and equipped to reinforce at home what the kids are learning in church.

Sunday we were challenged by 1st John 4:7-14.  The bottom line was "God showed the world His love when He sent Jesus; How will you show His love to the world?

In preparing to facilitate the discussion, I got to thinking, how do we show Jesus' love to the world?

All month we have been talking in our group about compassion.  We define compassion as 'caring enough to do something about someone else's need'. 

God saw our deepest need; forgiveness from sin. He did something about it; sent Jesus.

Jesus entrusted His ministry of reconciliation to us.

Just before He died Jesus prayed:  "As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world. For their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they themselves also may be sanctified in truth. I do not ask on behalf of these alone, but for those also who believe in Me through their word;  that they may all be one; even as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they also may be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent Me. The glory which You have given Me I have given to them, that they may be one, just as We are one; I in them and You in Me, that they may be perfected in unity, so that the world may know that You sent Me, and loved them, even as You have loved Me." 
 John 17:18-23 NASB

Jesus said that the world would know the love of God when Christians are united.

Survey 100 people on the street.  Ask them what the first word that pops into their head is when they hear the word "Christian".  I would be shocked if you could find one who said "Unity".  Survey 100 people in your church, ask them to tell you the first think that pops in to their heads when they think of your church, I wonder if unity would make that list either.  If this were family feud the answer that Jesus seemed to think should be #1, might not even be on the board. 

Every church has lost someone when they decided to do something, be it the style of music, the length of the sermon, the color of the carpet or the brand of coffee used at get-togethers... It seems the one thing that defines churched people is our ability to part ways. 

And no I haven't attend the same church all of my life.  I've moved from one to the next 3 times in the last 10 years, and not one change was because I moved to a different city.  If I am pointing any fingers rest assured that 3 are pointed back at me, and I know it.  I don't want the cycle to continue.

I am the same guy who just posted, just yesterday, about Jonah, and the need to "throw someone overboard for the good of the ship".  I believe Martin Luther did the right thing when he posted his '95 Thesis' on the door of his church, and that God blessed the ministries of both Paul and Barnabas when they parted ways over John Mark. 

I'm not sure perfect unity is something we can grasp (and I'm not sure that it isn't). After all the apostle who said "No doubt there have to be differences among you to show which of you have God's approval" Also said "I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought" (in the same book!)

So if Jesus said that Unity would be the thing that let the world see God's love, then my question is how do we (me, you, and everyone else who claims Jesus as Lord) make unity priority #1.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be moderated before being posted.