Thursday, June 21, 2012

Quiet Time Reflections

In John 6 Jesus feeds the 5,000, then walks across the lake, calms a storm, and lands on the far shore, just in time to be greeted by the same crowd of people.  They are all wondering how he got there, and He gave them this beautifully blunt and un-politically correct response,  "You aren't looking for me" He said, "because you want to believe, you are looking for me because you want a free meal." ~ CPV (Charlie Paraphrased Version)
You have to love Jesus way with words.  He never pulled any punches or told  a crowd what they wanted to hear, instead He went straight to the heart of the matter.

I am tempted to dwell on His blunt and rather offensive manner of speaking (we are so quick to take offense that I think we would write Jesus off as unloving if he were walking the earth today), but is what followed that really caught my attention.  He said "Do not work for the food that perishes, but work for the food which endures to eternal life."

It is a simple reminder that goes along with what Jesus said in Matthew 6. - "Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness and all these things (speaking of basic necessities like food and clothing) will be given to you."

How often do we kill ourselves working to make the mortgage payment, or to pay the electricity bill, or to  make the car payment, or to pay the mechanic just keep the poor old thing running for a few more months. How much time have I spent stressing out over our looming loss of insurance coverage, even contemplating giving up ministry to keep insurance!?  How many of my peers have I watched work harder for the things that aren't necessities,  Internet access, apple products, smart phone plans, ballet lessons & travel basketball fees for junior, and that vacation they've always wanted…

Jesus effectively said, "don't work for temporary things, work for eternal things." & "Seek Me first and I'll take care of the rest". 

Do I trust Him enough to actually live that way?

Give me your feed back.  Have you put these words of Jesus into practice? Why/How or Why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be moderated before being posted.