Tuesday, June 19, 2012

What is a Leader?

Dear Reader,

I am hoping that you will spare a few minutes to help me.  Leadership is the topic, and if you are willing to share your thoughts, I'd love to know how you define a leader.  What are some characteristics that you think all effective leaders share?  How is a leader different from an administrator?  What is the ultimate purpose of leadership?

If you happen to be of a Bible reading persuasion, and feel like sharing some thoughts on leaders from the Bible that you admire, I'll give you bonus points!  (not sure how the points will be redeemed, but I am open to suggestions on that as well)  Biblical references are not required & I will accept examples from all walks of life.  Please feel free to include links to articles on the topic or point me in the direction of good books that relate.

Send me your answers via the comment section, I'll review them and compile your thoughts into a future post.

Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. Well, my mind went kind of wild on this topic Charlie. I think a leader is someone who guides and tries to help steer people in the right direction, who truly cares deeply for the people he is guiding and has their best interests in mind. It is a person who listens and takes the good from the group he leads and doesn't force his own agenda. One who doesn't feel he/she has to micro manage the group, but trusts others to have wisdom and are able to make good decisions also and is willing to delegate some of the work to them. A big mistake that I feel leaders make is that they have to do everything themselves instead of trusting others to be of help. He/she must be a prayer warrior who bathes all his ideas he gives to the group with lots of prayer and realizes that he/she isn't the only person with a direct line to God. Someone who is a good example to all. A person who doesn't think all decisions must be made by them. A leader has an awesome responsibility to those he/she leads. It is no small matter to be a leader.
    As I thought of the difference between an administrator and a leader, I feel that an administrator takes care of things that have to be done in the organization or group (such as financial, etc.) and does the leg work or sees that the decisions by the group are carried out. A leader is someone who is the head of the organization or group and who sets up meetings, makes up an agenda of things that need to be talked over and decided, is the person people can come to with problems or complaints, and who is a good listener. Someone who guides but doesn't dominate.
    The purpose of a leader in my estimation is this. Every group needs someone to be responsible for whatever that group is supposed to be doing. They need to see that things get done with input from others. They are to advise and guide, to pray and care for those under them, and to help keep peace in the midst of any storms that may arise. In my mind, there is a difference between a leader and a boss.
    I thought so much about the first questions that you asked that I have run out of brain power to give you examples in the Bible.

    ReplyDelete

All comments will be moderated before being posted.